The tulsi or the basil plant is a significant symbol in the Hindu religious tradition. It is worshipped by many families in the morning and evening to welcome peace in the household. Not only the holy basil is used for prayers, it is also an herbal remedy for various common ailments. Below are 15 of such medicinal uses of tulsi. Have a look:
1. Healing Power: The tulsi plant has a lot of healing power. The leaves serve as nerve tonic and also as a mind booster. They promote the removal of the catarrhal matter and phlegm from the bronchial tube. Tulsi also strengthen the stomach and induce copious perspiration. The seed of the plant helps in the secretion of mucus.
2. Fever & Common Cold: The leaves of basil help to heal fever. Tender tulsi leaves when boiled with tea act as preventive against diseases like malaria and dengue during the rainy season. In case of acute fevers, boil the leaves with powdered cardamom in half a liter of water and mix it with sugar and milk. It will bring down the body temperature. The juice of tulsi leaves also bring down fever. Extract of tulsi leaves in fresh water should be given every 2 to 3 hours during fever.
3. Respiratory Disorder: Tulsi also help to treat respiratory system disorder. Mix the leaves with honey and ginger to cure bronchitis, asthma, influenza, cough and cold. A decoction of the leaves, cloves and common salt also gives immediate relief during influenza. Boil half a liter of water with a few tulsi leaves till only half the water is left. Drink it to strengthen your immune system
4. Sore Throat: Boil basil leaves with water and drink whenever you have sore throat. You can use the water as gargle too.
5. Coughs: Tulsi is one of the most important ingredients in many Ayurvedic cough syrups and expectorants. The leaf has the capacity to mobilize mucus in bronchitis and asthma. Chewing tulsi leaves relieves cold and flu too.
6. Kidney Stone: Basil has strengthening effect on the kidney. Basil taken regularly for 6 months it will expel renal stone via the urinary tract.
7. Heart Disorder: Basil reduces the level of blood cholesterol and strengthens the heart. It also helps in fighting and the weakness caused.
8. Insect Bites: The herb can also be used as a prophylactic or preventive to cure insect stings or bites. Take a teaspoonful of the juice of the leaves after every few hours. Apply fresh juice on the affected parts as well. In case of leech bites, a paste of fresh roots on the affected part is also helpful.
9. Stress: Basil is also known as an ‘adaptogen’ or anti-stress agent. The leaves helps to reduce stress to quite an extend. Chew 12 leaves of basil, twice a day, to prevent stress. It also acts as a blood purifying agent and prevents other common ailments.
10. Mouth Infections: Basil helps to cure ulcer and infections in the mouth. Chew a few leaves and see results.
11. Children’s Ailments: The juice of basil leaves is an herbal cure to common pediatric problems like cough cold, fever, diarrhea and vomiting. Basil leaves taken with saffron will fasten the healing process after chicken pox.
12. Skin Disorders: Basil juice cures ringworm and other skin related diseases. It has also been tried successfully by some naturopaths in the treatment of leucoderma.
13. Eye Disorders: Basil juice is an effective remedy for sore eyes and night-blindness, a vitamin A deficiency disease. Two drops of black basil juice on the eyes is helpful.
14. Headaches: Basil is useful for headache. Pounded leaves mixed with sandalwood paste can also be applied on the forehead to relieve you from heat, headache and also relief stress.
15. Teeth Disorder: This herb also cures teeth disorders. Dry the leaves in the sun and use the powder for brushing teeth. It can also be mixed with mustered oil to make a paste for tooth brushing. It acts as a special agent that maintains dental health, counteract bad breath and also massage the gums. It is also useful in pyorrhea and other teeth disorders.
Latest posts by Akshay Agarwal (see all)
- Indian Funky Nightwear Brand for Babies and Kids Online - November 11, 2020
- Children’s Boutique Clothing Manufacturers in India - September 25, 2020
- Kids Celebrity Designer – Aastha Agarwal to showcase her collection at India Kids Fashion Week in Jaipur - September 7, 2019