Permanent Account Number (PAN) is a unique ten-digit alphanumeric number issued to the citizens in India by the Income Tax Department under the supervision of the Central Board for Direct Taxes (CBDT). It primarily acts as an identification number irrespective of the age or region in the country. A typical PAN number looks something like AFZPK7190K.
In the recent years, the demand for this card number as identification proof has increased manifold. As such more and more people are seen applying for the same. The PAN card was only available through middlemen like Chartered accountants before. But the good news is you can easily apply it online today at your own time. The process is easy and user friendly and hence mostly preferred.
General Information while applying for PAN card online
You will need to pay a sum of Rs. 96 as application fee while applying for pan card online. The payment can be easily made through check, demand draft, credit/debit card or net-banking. Upon acceptance of the application you will need to send the following documents to NSDL/UTITSL through courier/post.
- Proof of Identity along with acknowledgement. It can be any one of School leaving certificate, Degree of a recognized educational institution, Depository account statement, Credit card statement, Bank account statement/ bank pass book, Water bill, Ration card, Property tax assessment order, Passport, Voters Identity Card, Driving License or Certificate of identity signed by Member of Parliament or Member of Legislative Assembly or Municipal Councilor or Gazette Officer.
- Proof of Address along with acknowledgement. It can be any one of Electricity bill, Telephone bill, Depository account statement, Credit card statement, Bank account statement/bank pass book, Rent receipt, Employer certificate (these should not be more than six months old from the date of application) or Passport, Voters Identity card, Property tax assessment order, Driving License, Ration card or Certificate of address signed by Member of Parliament or Member of Legislative Assembly or Municipal Councilor or Gazette Officer.
Steps to be followed while applying for PAN card online:
Step 1: Click here to open the Income Tax Pan Services Unit website.
Step 2: On the home page you will be provided with various choices like application for a new PAN, Enquiry and Tracking status, Reprint of PAN card and changes or correction in the PAN details. Choose ‘Application for new PAN card”.
Step 3: Go to https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan2/servlet/NewPanApp and fill the Form 49A will all the required details and submit it.
Once the form is successfully submitted online, a unique 15 digit acknowledgement number will be displayed. Save and print it out.
Step 4: Send the filled form to the Income Tax department along with the documents mentioned above. Note that your name on the documents should match your PAN application form. Therefore, be extra careful while filling up the form.
Step 5: Paste two recently clicked color photographs on the acknowledgment form in the space provided. Also sign wherever necessary. Note that the photograph you use here will be put up on your PAN card. Hence make sure it is clear and recent.
Step 6: Make your payment in the above mentioned procedure. If you are residing outside India, you will need to pay Rs. 962 in the form of a demand draft.
You may also make payment through credit card or debit card. In this case you will need to make the payment simultaneously while filling up the form. You will receive a payment acknowledgement. Print it out and attach it with your acknowledgement form.
Step 7: The final step is to write ‘APPLICATION FOR PAN – Acknowledgement Number’ and send your acknowledgement form along with the address proof, identification proof, photographs and the payment/payment proof (if any) within 15 days of the online application date to NSDL in Pune. All applications are processed at NSDL.
If you want to track your acknowledgement form SMS NSDLPAN <space> Acknowledgement No. to 57575. You may also send an enquiry by writing them at their address.
Latest posts by Akshay Agarwal (see all)
- Most Interesting Indian Mom Bloggers & Blogs to Follow - October 18, 2018
- Unique Traditional Wedding Outfits From Around the World - February 13, 2017
- 10 Best Mesmerizing Perfumes Brands to Buy For Indian Men - January 31, 2017