India too is going the Green World way. As such the concept of eco friendly tourism is rapidly picking up pace in the country. Many eco friendly hotels have come up in recent times. Most of these have luxury tented accommodations, home stays, eco villages, and nature resorts to enjoy. These places offer a refreshing approach to tourism: the beautiful and picturesque locations prove this point. Most of them come with add on unique local activities that visitors are allowed to participate in. India has always been experienced from its rich historical point of view. Why not get out of the convention and experience the Land of Contrast from a natural perspective.
1. Shergarh Tented Camp, Kanha National Park
- Address: Kanha National Park (Mukki side), Village Bahmni, Madhya Pradesh
- Contact number: (07637)226215
- Tariff: 5,500-7,500 ($110-150) per person, inclusive of meals and activities (two safaris per day, elephant rides etc)
If you choose your holiday location as Kanha National Park, get ready for the adventurous stay in the exclusive tented accommodations just near the border of the park. Shergarh Tented Camp has every facility you want for a comfortable stay. It includes six well spaced tents, each with a large front porch, attached bathroom and hot water. Since the hotel is run by a naturalist, an authentic experience is a must. The hotel remains open from August to May.
Eco features include: Responsible tourism by reducing waste, use of plastic, and impact on the surrounding area. Meals prepared with home-grown vegetables, local produce and fish farmed from the nearby lake.
2. Annapara Home Stay, Wayanad Kerala
Are you a big fan of home cooked food and personalized service? Annapara gives it to you with natural back drop as a plus. It is a wonderful home stay with only five rooms thereby giving you ample opportunity to wake up at the call of nature. You will find a tea factory next door and a wilderness trail weaving through sprawling tea and coffee plantations along the vast stretch of rainforest. Enjoy the bonfire and music along with traditional Kerala cuisine as the evening sky twinkles above you.
- Address: Vythri, Wayanad District, Kerala
- Contact number: (91)94430-23320.
- Tariff: $95 per couple per night, all meals included.
Eco features include: Self generated electricity, water sourced from natural springs, recycled waste, composting, negligible use of plastic, local labor and services.
3. Mountain Trail, Mukteshwar
- Address: Mukteshwar District, Nainital, Uttarakhand
- Contact number: (91-05942)286040.
- Tariff: 4,000 rupees ($80) per night for a double, including breakfast and dinner.
Mountain Trail is situated in a thick mountainous forest and orchard wrapped around an hour east of Nainital. It is a combination of 10 charming cottage style rooms with attached bathrooms. Various activities provided to the guests include picnics, bird watching, jungle walks, and bonfires amidst the fresh mountain air. The library, children’s play area, and stunning sunset point makes its one of the best eco friendly hotels in the list.
Eco features include: 100% local labor & services, energy conservation, naturally sourced water, recycled waste, organic garden, chemical free.
4. YogaMagic, Goa
- Address: 1586/1 Grand Chinvar, Anjuna, Bardez, North Goa
- Contact number: (0832)5623796.
- Tariff: around 6,000 rupees ($140) per night per tent and 7,500 rupees ($175) for the Maharani suite, depending on the time of year. Weekly rates are available.
Yoga Magic is one of the best boutique eco friendly hotels in Goa. You get to experience a magical atmosphere compressed between the coconut palms and rice paddy fields near Anjuna beach. The aim is to provide a relaxing experience and help you communicate with nature from a much closer proximity. The hotel remains open from mid November to mid April each year.
Eco features include: Use of sustainable traditional materials: rammed earth, cow dung, stone, bamboo and coconut, solar power, composting eco toilets, off-site composting of all organic waste.
5. Wildernest Nature Resort, Goa
- Address: Swapnagandha, Off Sankhali, Chorla Ghats, Goa
- Contact number: (91-831)4207954.
- Tariff: Rates start from 3,800 rupees ($80) per night in the Summer/Monsoon season. Peak season from 6,000 rupees ($120) per night. Includes all meals and activities.
Wildernest is set on over 450 acres of forest land on the Goa, Maharashtra and Karnataka state borders. The serene nature resort gifts you tranquility in abundance. The resort has 16 eco-friendly cottages with wood paneling and tiled floors on the interior. Nature walks, bonfires, folk dances, and village excursions are few of the perks guests enjoy here.
Eco features include: Constructed out of eco friendly materials, eco friendly washing and hair products, no plastic, operates conservation programs.
6. Coconut Lagoon, Kerala Backwaters
- Address: Eastern shore of Lake Vembanad, Kumarakom, Kerala
- Contact number: (0832)5623796.
- Tariff: Around $360 per night a double, for a bungalow. $440 for a mansion, and $700 for a pool villa. Includes breakfast. Low season discounts possible.
CGH Earth property in the Coconut Lagoon is the meeting point of water and history. The beauty of Coconut Lagoon is accessible by boat. It helps you escape away from materialism at least for some time. The stately resort beautifully captures the old Kerala. Visitors are offered sunset cruises, backwater cruises and Ayurvedic spa as well.
Eco features include: Conversion of waste into fuel, chemical free zone, use of vermiculture and composting, organic farming, cows to eat the grass.
7. The Orchid EcoTel
- Address: Mumbai: Nehru Road, Vile Parle East, Next to Domestic Airport
- Contact number: (91-22)26164040.
- Delhi: NH-8, near Indira Gandhi International Airport
- Contact number: (91-11)41511515.
- Tariff: Mumbai: from 9,000 rupees ($180) per night including breakfast, for a double. Delhi: from 10,000 rupees ($200) per night, for a double.
You need not always go to the outskirts to enjoy nature. You can have an eco friendly stay in a city as well. The Orchid Mumbai and The Orchid New Delhi are the two eco friendly luxury hotels of the country. Interestingly, they are both conveniently located close to the airport.
Eco features include: Energy conserving design, use of environmentally friendly materials, active water and energy conservation measures, vermiculture to reduce waste, initiatives for guest participation in conservation measures.
8. Our Native Village, Bangalore
- Address: Survey 72, Kodihalli Village, Mudurai Hobli, Doddaballapur Taluk, Bangalore
- Contact number: (91-80)41140909.
- Tariff: Packages from 10,300 rupees ($210) per night for a double, including meals.
Our Native Village situated one hour ride away from Bangalore gives you a complete experience of a village life. Come with your family to experience something different. The resort offers a range of unique activities you will find nowhere like cow milking, bullock cart rides, kite flying, bicycle riding, organic farming. The resort’s Soul Spa is the perfect place to rejuvenate after the days chores in the village.
Eco features include: Renewable energy, eco construction, waste recycling, organic produce, chemical free pool.
9. Banasura Hill Resort, Wayanad Kerala
- Address: Vellamunda, Wayanad, Kerala
- Contact number: 91(4935) 277900/01/02/03/04.
- Tariff: Rates start from 6,000 rupees ($120) per night for a double, including breakfast.
Banasura is the largest Earth resort of Asia. The whole of Banasura is constructed from mud known as rammed earth. It has 31 rooms to entertain its guests. The resort lies on a 35 acre eco-friendly farm, surrounded by rich nature. Guests can enjoy hiking through the countryside and pay a visit to the waterfalls, caves, and the tribal village nearby. For relaxation, the resort offers a rejuvenating Ayurvedic spa.
Eco features include: Constructed from mud and recycled wood. Natural light is exploited to the fullest. CFL lamps minimize energy consumption. A bio-gas plant recycles organic waste and fires the resort’s kitchens.
10. The Dune Eco Beach Village, Pondicherry
- Address: Pudhukuppam, Keelputhupet, (via Pondicherry University), Tamil Nadu
- Contact number: (91-413)2655751.
- Tariff: Rates from 5,500 rupees ($110) per night for a double room, including tax and breakfast. Air conditioned villas start from 11,950 rupees ($240) for a double.
The Dune located just north of Pondicherry stands on a sprawling 35 acre property with a wonderful beachfront location. Dune Eco Beach Village has uniquely themed 30 villas and 20 rooms to entertain its guests. The interior is full of wonderful art. It is fun, funky and has Vedic Spa for relaxation.
Eco features include: Solar heated water, reclaimed timbers, waste water treatment plant, organic farm.
Latest posts by Akshay Agarwal (see all)
- Kids Celebrity Designer – Aastha Agarwal to showcase her collection at India Kids Fashion Week in Jaipur - September 7, 2019
- Most Interesting Indian Mom Bloggers & Blogs to Follow - October 18, 2018
- Unique Traditional Wedding Outfits From Around the World - February 13, 2017