India is the second largest producer of cement after China. The cement industry has been growing at fast pace due to the rapid growth of industries, infrastructure projects, road networks and different housing projects. The cement industry also export cements across 30 countries globally. The Indian cement industry can capture almost 151.2 Million Tones (MT) of cement. Since it is a binding medium, it sets and gets hardened quickly. There are two kinds of cement that is mostly produced in India: Pozolana cement and Portland cement. Major cement industries like ACC and L&T play an important role in producing cement in India. Below is the list of the top 5 cement companies in India that has been hogging the limelight.
5. ACC Ltd. Cement Plants
ACC cement plant is the top brand in India that has been manufacturing and exporting across various countries. The industry is located across various regions of the country. There are 12 cement plants of ACC Ltd at present. Off late in co-ordination with other cement industries it has been improving its share in the market. ACC cement Ltd. was set up in the year 1936 and has been dealing with better quality cement ever since.
Features of ACC Ltd. Cement Plants are:
- Advanced technological facilities
- Environment friendly
- Sophisticated pollution control devices in various parts such as raw mills, power plants, cement kilns, coolers and other equipment’s
- Mining technologies-based on environment safeguard norms
- Vacant spaces in the mines and the cement plans are being utilized for green revolution
- High quality Zero Water Discharge facilities thus help in proper water management
Installed Capacity 18,640
Net Profit (Quarter ended Sep 30, 2009) 41,550.89 lakhs
4. UltraTech Cement Limited-The Engineers Choice
UltraTech Cement Limited is rated as one of the world’s largest cement producer with an installed capacity of 52 Million Tonnes Per Annum. UltraTech Cement Limited-The Engineers Choice is also the largest exporter of cement clinker around the Indian Ocean, Africa, Europe and the Middle East.
The company has been producing three kinds of cements namely, Portland Blast Furnace Slag Cement, Portland Pozzalana Cement and Ordinary Portland Cement.
- 11 grinding units
- 12 cement plants
- 4 units for grinding and one plant for clinkerization.
- It is a big business house under the Aditya Birla Group.
Installed Capacity 17,000
Net Profit (in 2008-09) 97,700 lakhs
3. Gujarat Ambuja Cement Ltd.
Ambuja cement came into the market in 1986 and today the total capacity of the company is 160,00,000 tons. The Ambuja cement in Gujrat is specialized with state of art manufacturing facility with the advanced technological equipment’s. It has been achieving outstanding perks with its ethical practices and dedicated work force in the global market.
Manufacturing plants of Ambuja cement are:
- West Bengal
- Himachal Pradesh
Awards won are:
- National Award by the Prime Minister of India for outstanding pollution control
- National Award by the Prime Minister of India for commitment to quality
- Award by CAPEXIL for highest exports
- Certification of ISO 9002 for quality
- Certification of ISO 14000 for environmental systems
- Award for corporate excellence from Harvard Business School Association
Gujarat Ambuja Cements Limited
Installed Capacity 14,860
Net Profit (Quarter ended on Sep 30, 2009) 31,848 lakhs
2. Birla Cement Ltd.
Birla Cement is supported by M.P Birla group. It has been successfully achieving many awards due to its awesome productivity, pollution control, energy performance and worker’s education like – “Lal Bahadur Shastri Memorial National Award” for Excellent Pollution Control Implementation by Chanderia Cement Works. Its headquarter is in Madhya Pradesh. A few of the famous brands sold by this company are: Birla Cement KHAJURAHO, Birla Premium Cement, Birla Cement CHETAK and Birla Cement.
- Seven plants
- Cumulative capacity of 5.8 million tons
- Owns brands with khajurao, Chetak, Samrat and Birla cement
Installed Capacity 5,113
Net Profit (in 2008-09) 9,061 lakhs
1. JK Cement Ltd.
J K Cement was established in May 1975 with its head quarters in Nimbahera, Rajasthan by Lala Kamlapat Singhania. It is rated as one of the leading cement companies in India. In context to the previous capacity of 0.3 million tons, the company now produces over 2.8 million tons per annum. It is the second largest producer of white cement in India. It has a huge access of limestone reserve both in grey and white cement. It holds the highest amount of shares in the market in the state of Haryana.
However, the grey cement is marketed in northern India. It is also exported to countries like Singapore, Kenya, Bahrain, South Africa, Nepal, Tanzania, Nigeria, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and UAE.
- Huge limestone reserve
- Extensive marketing network for grey and white cement both within and outside India
- More than 4000 retail stores, 22 sales promoters and four handling agents
- Ordinary Portland cement or OPC consist of 43-grade, 53-grade and 33-grade OPC
Some other products manufactured by the company are:
- J K Wall Putty
- Grey Cement
- J K White Cement
- J K Water Proof
JK Cement Ltd
Installed Capacity 6,680
Net Profit (in 2008-09) 14,234.40 lakhs
- images of cement of india
- photo best cement indian
- top cement brands in india
Latest posts by Akshay Agarwal (see all)
- Unique Traditional Wedding Outfits From Around the World - February 13, 2017
- 10 Best Mesmerizing Perfumes Brands to Buy For Indian Men - January 31, 2017
- 5 of the Best Designer Children’s Fashion and Lifestyle Boutiques in Jaipur - January 17, 2017